Since last semester, we have been getting our team ready for the heat of competition by training new members. Currently, we are finishing our robot, finalizing publications and starting work on awards, and overall getting ready for competition season.
The design subteam has been busy with using SolidWorks to create models of our robot and its mechanisms. The mechanisms we focused on include an adjustable turret shooter, a hopper and feeder system to funnel power cells into the turret, a folding and telescoping climber, and an over-the-bumper intake. Last week we held a preliminary design review to go over the general robot concept. We will be holding our critical design review this week; hopefully to finalize the robot design. Once the robot design is finalized, we will begin our side projects of designing a new robot cart and driver station.
For the past three weeks, we have been working on field elements, prototyping, and fabricating the drivetrain. The team building the field elements completed the Power Port and the Trench. Once the power port was finished, we were able to start testing the ball shooter prototype. We also prototyped mechanisms for the climb, the Control Panel, and hopper and feeder. Testing the prototypes helped us settle on a final design for our robot. We finished working on our drivetrain and were able to test it. Finally, we started CNCing the plates for the shooter and will start assembling next week.
For the past 3 weeks, the electrical subteam has been finishing the battery box project, starting an RFID battery tagging project, and started the electrical design for the robot. For the battery box, we installed doors and locks on both sides which will increase our efficiency in transporting to competitions. We constructed some crude prototypes on the RFID project. We will continue developing these plans with the purpose of creating a robust battery data management system. Additionally, a general plan of electrical systems design is underway, and we are using CAD modeling to help layout the robot's electrical components. Over the next few weeks, we will continue working on the plan and begin electrical fabrication on the robot.
We have been working on writing initial code in order to be able to rapidly iterate on the robot once any mechanism is made. In the first week, we spent time setting up all the members’ development devices and getting everyone up to speed with the documentation. During our time at the workspace, we flashed the RoboRIOs and worked with fabrication/mechanical/design to clarify our understanding of the robot design as it was evolving. By the end of this week, we will have written an initial code for all the 5 main subsystems.
Business has concentrated on updating our web page, creating outreach publications for sponsors and competitions, updating our business plan and sponsorship packet, and starting drafts for numerous awards. We have also made excellent progress on our game app, and have contributed to the GA FIRST app. Media has created and submitted a Safety Animation, and also created stock videos for the team.